- The downloads are iso file, so they will have to be burned to a dvd or you will have to use a program to mount the iso files as drives.
- After getting things to a dvd, I tried to install the servicepack and it quickly crashed. It died in the VC++ x86 installer. This is strange since I am running Vista Ultimate x64 on my system. So I tried many different things went with my favorite search engine to help. I was not able to find anything useful since the service pack had only been released hours ago.
- I finally read the actual log for the install that was failing and figured out that it was saying that it needed to be rebooted. I have been working on a Windows Service that used .NET 3.5 and that could have caused issues as well. So I uninstalled the app and service that I am working on (more on this in a later post) and restarted my laptop.
- I then restarted the installer and waited to see what happened. It got past the error I was seeing before. Yea!!!!
- Then I waited…. And waited…. I made sure my laptop was set to high performance and it still took about 2 hours to install. The laptop is an AMD TL-64 with 4G of ram so it should not be too slow.
- Everything installed fine and I was off to install the MSDN for sp1. Well it was 3am already so I went to bed and let it install overnight, so I do not know how long it takes to install this part.
Everything seems fine so far. I am looking at some .NET code protectors and will see if the ones I am thinking about work with sp1 or not.